From: "Marilyn Shanahan" <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] SHANAHAN - iRELAND - ONTARIO - CHICAGO
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:43:14 -0600

Seeking any Canadian info regarding ggrandfather JAMES J. SHANAHAN b. 1850 Ireland (cannot confirm but we think Cork)
Left Ireland 1855 with mother Elisa, sister Eliza, brothers Michael and John to New York,.
Are not found again until 1872 in Chicago where he married MARGARET DOYLE b. 1849 in Wexford Ire (at St. Patricks)
Their marriage was sent to the Toronto Ontario Newspapers, and this may suggest that James as well as Margaret lived in Canada before coming
to Chicago. Do know that the Doyle family did emmigrate to Ontario from Ireland, and Margaret was one of five girls (John and Bridget Redmond Doyle parents all born in Wexford.
I do not have any access to Canadian records, and would really appreciate any information given on his James and family between 1855 and 1872 when Chicago became their home.
Thanking everyone on the list.
Marilyn Shanahan
Chicago

This thread: