Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] IRISH-IN-CHICAGO Digest, Vol 2, Issue 311
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 13:58:00 EST

To Nan Brennan: I was referring to the story in Vol 2, issue 305, by Corey
Kilannon: "Humdinger of a project: Tracing Slang in ireland" Those of us who
have/ had Irish-speaking parents/ relatives haven't too much difficulty in
re=creating from their "mind's ear"the sounds of the Irish words. But
Kilcannon's orthographical signs are perplexing to me. I see that he used question
marks for quotation marks, but the rest of his uses of strange marks are
confusing to me. Can you translate? Anita