From: "Carmen DiGiacomo" <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Boer War
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 21:59:30 -0500

Bill, I was wondering when someone from the list would make the John McBride
connection to the Boer War. Great input!

Suggested reading. 'The Boer War' by Thomas Pakenham. Published by Avon
Books, Library of Congress Catalog Card Number: 79-4779 - ISBN:
0-380-72001-9

The first paragraph of the introduction reads:
" The war declared by the Boers on 11 October 1899 gave the British, in
Kipling's famous phrase, 'no end of a lesson'. The British public expected
it to be over by Christmas. It proved to be the longest (two and
three-quarter years), the costliest (over 200 million pound sterling), the
bloodiest (at least twenty-two thousand British, twenty-five thousand Boer
and twelve thousand African lives) and the most humiliating war for Britain
between 1815 and 1914".

Carmen-Pittsburgh