From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Derrig Family in Chicago
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 04:47:03 -0500

Mickey,

I couldn't find a marriage or death record or an obit on Cora O'Kelly
Derrig.

I found a family that had sons James and Frank (b Illinois @1912)
along with another son,
George and a daughter, Josephine. Parents were James and Josephine
Derrig.
James (Sr) was born in Illinois, Josephine was born in Germany** and
emigrated about 1911.
James (in 1920) was an engineer for a packinghouse at the stockyards.
Their address in 1920 was 2418 Lawndale, 34th Ward, ED 2180

**1930 census says New York

In 1930 James Sr (who is recorded as "James B." age 42 and Josephine
J. age 30, were living in the 44th wd (northside Lincoln Park)
Ed 1630 at 2840 N Bissell . James owns his own home, is still a
stationary engineer.
Children at home in 1930: George J (12) Josephine M ( 10) and three
more daughters: Stella A (8) Margaret (5)and Dorothy A (3)
In this census James' wife Josephine is recorded as born in New York,
(not Germany, 1920 record)
The 1930 census indicates this is the 2nd marriage for James, who was
first married at age 20 (@1908?) and Josephine was
first married at age 17 (@ 1913) Children all born Illinois
James B's father was born in Canada and mother in Kentucky.
There was a James Derrig born in Canada listed in the Chicago Voter
Registration of 1892, possibly James B's father?
He became a citizen in Chicago in 1875 and was 21 years in the county
and state in 1892, meaning he arrived in Illinois in 1871.

Son James was not with the family in 1930. However there was a James
Derrig, age 21, born Illinois @ 1909
living with his uncle, Joseph A. Derrig at 6906 19th St in Berwyn Il
(just outside Chgo). James was a fireman.
Joseph's mother was born in Kentucky, but father New York.

In 1930 there is a young Frank Derrig, age 18, born Illinois @1912,
an inmate at a reformatory school in
Pontiac Illinois (Livingston County)

There are Numerous references to an Officer Derrig or an Officer
James Derrig in Tribune articles.
There was also a patrolman Henry Derrig during this period
(1880-1920?) age 34, Josephine was 24
Children James 9, Frank 8, George 2 and Josephine months.

There were 2 Josephine Derrigs who died in Niles (Cook) IL"
Josephine Derrig, b Feb 25, 1897 died Jan 1985, and,
Josephine Derrig, b 22 Sept 1919 died Niles, April 1982.
This could be mother and daughter. Couldn't find obits in the Trib
on either.
The daughter worked for the railroad.

There was a George J. Derrig, service member, aboard the "West Point"
arrrived NY Feb 7, 1946, He was scheduled for discharge at Grant Il
home address was 1535 Highland Avenue, Chicago.
He may be the George Derrig who died in Park Forest Il in Jan 1985
(born 2 Nov 1917).
He may have a son or grandson with the same name still living in Park
Forest
George Derrig, 451 Saugatuck St Park Forest 60466

Miscl obits below, there are more. I think the last one is your
James who died in 1960.

Mar 17, 1895

LYNCH-Friday, March 15, MR ELIZABETH LYNCH (nee DEIMORE**)
Age 54 years. Funeral Monday Mach 18 at 930am from the residence of
her
sister, MRS JAMES DERRIG, 1003 Warren av to St Columbkill's Church
thence by CM and ST Paul RR to Calvary.
** couldbe Delmore

June 17, 1904

Marriage notice:Frank S Schindler (28) to Margaret J DERRIG (23)

June 2, 1906

DELMORE- EDWARD DELMORE, brother of Ellen Delmore, Mrs JAMES DERRIG,
MRS THOMAS TUITE, Friday June 1, 1906. Funeral Monday, June 4 at
9am from
residence of JAMES DERRIG, 1003 Waren (couldbe 1093) Warren av to
St Matthew's church. thence to Calvary, C M & ST P RR.

Feb 2, 1915
JOHN DERRIG, beloved husband of the late MARGARET DERRIG (nee MULLIGAN)
fond father of Mrs Dr Schindler**, John, James, Henry, Joseph, Mary,
and the late Arnold Derrig;
brother of JAMES AND ANNA DERRIG. Funeral Wednesday Feb 8 1915,
at 9am from his late residence, 832 S Bishop St. where solemn
requierm high mass
will be celebrated; Member of Married Men's sodality; St Aoysius
court No 27, C.O. F.
Northwestern Council No 815, Royal Arcanum. Autos to Mount Carmel.

a Margaret J. Schindler, wife of Dr. Frank Schindler and sister of
James Derrig died in 1960 (notice Dec 3)

Nov 6, 1937

DERRIG-JAMES DERRIG, beloved husband of Mary, nee Delmore.
Funeral from 1018 Grand Ave Saturday Nov 6 at 930am to
St Columbkille church. Interment Calvary Veteran member 132d
regiment ING.

November 23, 1960

JAMES R DERRIG, husband of Isabelle, father of Patricka Ann and
Barbara Derrig;
brother of FRANK. Services Friday 11am at chapel 523 Lake Street Oak
Park
Interment Glen Oak.

Hope some of this helps....

Nan