From: Beth Walsh <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Comments on all church records
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 22:29:19 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
I'm going to jump in here if that's okay. For the most part the notes don't indicate that the records go beyond 1916, but I have seen a few (a very few that do). Also, even if the actual register was not filmed beyond 1916, I have found many many entries (or notations really) that were made in subsequent years.
These have usually been noted alongside the baptismal record, though I've seen some at the top or bottom of the page, probably wherever there was room. These notes have been for marriages, annulments, name changes even. Also, I like to read the very beginning or start of the parish registers (as in when the church first opened), if possible to see what other little gems of information might be written by the priest, pastor or whoever was doing the actual entering in the books. The one for Visitation was rather interesting, especially since that was my family's church. Plus, I usually scan through the other names and years just to see patterns of families or names or whatever else I might notice.
Beth
Nan Brennan <> wrote:
I didn't know that! Thanks Judy.
(and the film notes don't indicate the additional records either, is
that correct?)

Nan

On Oct 26, 2007, at 11:57 PM, Judith Mason wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm wondering if you know that the church records filmed by the > LDS many times go beyond 1916. Yes, they do! If the register that > contained the 1916 records went beyond, they were filmed.....the > entire register. I've looked at Chicago Catholic church records > that included baptismal and marriage records into the 1960's.

> Judie Mason
> Chicago
>
> Nan Brennan wrote:
> Annette,

sometimes the film notes (in the online library catalog) will indicate no index or limited index but the films reveal more indexing. Has that been your experience with the actual film?

> Nan-

This thread: