From: A Oehler <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Comments on Nativity Church records
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 21:43:17 -0500

Catherine,

If possible, I strongly recommend ordering and reviewing the Nativity church (or any other available church) microfilms at your nearest Family History Center. Several years ago, my cousin obtained 12 baptism certificates (of 14 children in the family) from Nativity Church and sent me copies.

Since then, I have reviewed the original records on microfilm, and found numerous errors on the transcribed certificates, including the wrong sponsors, inaccurate birth dates and baptism dates, and information and dates that were left off the certificates altogether. Since the original information often extended across two pages, depending on the style of book used that year, the modern transcriber often recorded on the certificates the sponsors and dates from the lines above or below my family members' lines, instead of taking care to be more accurate. And on top of it all, the certificates we received were written kind of sloppy, too.

Besides the benefit of gaining more accurate records when doing the search yourself, you may also find more children and even extended family members. You can also obtain photo copies of the entire record page at the family history center. I actually prefer the original record to the certificate, for all the above reasons.

Here is what is available in microfilm:

Baptism records 1871-1916
Marriage records 1871-1915
Confirmation records 1909-1916