IRISH-IN-CHICAGO-L Archives

Archiver > IRISH-IN-CHICAGO > 2007-10 > 1193372714

From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] early Chicago Directories Otoole
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 23:25:14 -0500
References: <CAB0A5FF-6302-4976-8EF6-65AB61B245EF@mindspring.com><023b01c8167a$3c0aa190$ea27fea9@YOUR360B6B8921><430C27D1-A60E-4FC3-B3D3-88280796A1E7@mindspring.com><f4eecdca1d3eb.471fae18@insightbb.com><1E98155B-AA56-4F1D-AC36-C684341D8F50@mindspring.com><f591e34019c23.4721041d@insightbb.com>
In-Reply-To: <f591e34019c23.4721041d@insightbb.com>

Bill,

The index for that book begins on page "685"
However, that is the downloaded pdf 685, the actual page no of the
original book is probably 807.
it has no page no, but the next page is 808. This is a little
puzzling, does it mean 122 pages are missing?
I don't know. Cant' imagine there were 122 blank pages.

There is a James J. Otoole entry page 361 (which is pdf page 286!)
and a Luke Otoole page 677.

Hope this helps.

Nan

I have DSL (100M) and the download (65 MB) took 10 minutes.

On Oct 25, 2007, at 9:01 PM, wrote:

> I realized after sending the email that you were talking about one
> directory, but I was talking about the Irish in Chicago Book that
> you sent out last week. It is a much longer book than the one you
> were speaking of.
> Bill
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Nan Brennan <>
> Date: Thursday, October 25, 2007 1:39
> Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] early Chicago Directories
>> Hi Bill,
>> I found it much easier and faster to navigate in Adobe, but my
>> "Find"
>> must be working faster than yours.
>> (sometimes Find doesn't work at all for me, I don't understand why)
>> Another way that was fast was to key in a page number......I
>> would go
>> to the end of the book (key in the last page no),
>> then page backwards to the index. Once I Had a page no and
>> entered
>> that into the page box
>> (the empty box in front of the page nos). then the page came up fast.
>> But I am talking about other books that I downloaded, I
>> didn't
>> download Strands.
>> Which directory were you looking at?
>> Nan
>> On Oct 24, 2007, at 8:42 PM, wrote:
>>> Nan,
>>>
>>> I used the search box for O'toole. It said there was one
>> reference,
>>> but I clicked on it and it did nothing. So, I'm nots ure how
>> to get
>>> to the O'toole reference unless i go through page by page. I
>> tried
>>> a find on the Acrobat Reader, but it had to go through some
>> 900+
>>> pages. It was taking forever. There has got to be a better way.
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>
>>> ----- Original Message -----
>>> From: Nan Brennan <>
>>> Date: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 16:39
>>> Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] early Chicago Directories
>>> To:
>>>
>>>> Marilyn,
>>>>
>>>> You are almost there.
>>>> When you get the "list" , click on a title (it is a link),
>>>> that will take you to the book. Then click on "view
>> this book".
>>>> The book will open. Click on the arrows on the right to
>>>> page thru
>>>> the book.
>>>>
>>>> I have not been successful using the search box?
>>>>
>>>> Has anybody used the search box?
>>>> Nan
>>>> On Oct 24, 2007, at 3:12 PM, Marilyn Shanahan wrote:
>>>>> Sorry Nan...Guess I am missing something after going to the
>>>> text
>>>>> offering
>>>>> and then keying in Chgo Directory, I cannot get any farther
>>>> than a
>>>>> listing
>>>>> of them and their dates. Thanks for the help.
>>>>> Marilyn
>> archive>>>>
>>>>>> http://www.archive.org/index.php
>>>>>>
>>>>>> click on texts and key in Chicago Directory
>>>>>>
>>>>>> -------------------------------
>>>>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>>>>>> with the word
>>>> 'unsubscribe'
>>>>>> without
>>>>>> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> -------------------------------
>>>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-
>> IN-
>>>>
>>>>> with the word 'unsubscribe'
>>>> without
>>>>> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>>>> -------------------------------
>>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-
>> IN-
>>>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
>>>> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>>>
>>> -------------------------------
>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-IN-
>>> with the word 'unsubscribe'
>> without
>>> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-IN-
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
>> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-IN-
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message