From: "Carole Demers" <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] John and Mary O'BRIEN
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:00:29 -0700

Hi, Alice...I believe we corresponded several years ago about my Chicago
Hennessy family and you gave me a large amount of information. Would be
happy to repay in kind by doing obituary lookups. I have NewsBank at home
through our library. Carole Brennan Demers, Tucson, AZ
---------
There seems to be a gap in the Tribune archives and I could not find the
John O'Brien in 1935. Four Mary O'Briens in 1916, but none in March or
April. If you want, I can copy and send all four and you can see if one
might be your Mary.

This is the 1939 John O'Brien:

Chicago Tribune (IL) - December 18, 1939
JOHN F. O'BRIEN, G.A.R. VET, DIES AT 95; ONLY 25 ARE LEFT IN COUNTY
Deceased Name: John F. O'Brien
John F. O'Brien, who in 1937 marched in the Memorial day parade, the last
member of the Grand Army of the Republic in Cook county to do so, died
yesterday in his home at 5259 Monroe street. He was 95 years old.

Born in Lowell, Mass., Mr. O'Brien enlisted in company E, 47th New York
infantry, and fought thru the last year and a half of the civil war. He was
with Gen. Ulysses S. Grant's army when Gen. Robert E. Lee surrendered at
Appomattox Courthouse to end the war.

O'Brien arrived in Chicago from his former home in Troy, N.Y., on Oct. 8,
1871., to find the city ablaze. That was the day of the great fire. He
worked for many years as a stationary engineer.

A son, Thomas H. O'Brien, with whom the veteran lived, survives. The funeral
will be held at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday from the chapel at 5321 Madison street
to Resurrection church, 5072 Jackson boulevard. Burial will be in Calvary
cemetery.

Mr. O'Brien's death leaves only 25 members of the G.A.R. in Cook county.

Chicago Tribune (IL) - December 18, 1939
O'BRIEN
Deceased Name: John F. O'Brien
--John F. O'Brien of 5259 Monroe street, beloved husband of the late Mary
A., fond father of Thomas H., the late John F., William J., and Mrs. Mary
Mott. Funeral Wednesday, Dec. 20, at 10:30 a.m., from funeral home, 5321 W.
Madison street, to Resurrection church. Interment Calvary. Austin 8020.
----