From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Biographical History of the American Irishin Chicago
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 20:29:01 -0500

Interesting comments, Jim.

I agree with you about the lowered profile of their Irish heritage,
it was an Anglo/Protestant nation and they wanted to assimilate.
But at the same time they built the parish & school (Catholic) system
that became the new "Placename" and cultural center for successive
generations
that were more exposed to and inspired by the emerging (re-emerging)
nationalism. There are always these ebbs and flows don't you think?
And not unique to the Irish immigrant either.

As to Captain O'Neill, he was collecting the music for decades, but I
don't know when (or if) he published, or if his efforts were even
particularly
well known at the time of the book we are talking about.

Thanks for your contribution.

Nan