From: bessinger janice <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Caulfield in city directories
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 06:43:58 -0700 (PDT)

Does anyone have access to the city directories for
around 1906? I need help. I have a death certificate
for a possible relative, Patrick Caulfield. The dc
says he died April 29, 1906 at 922 w. 47th place. He
is buried in Mt. Olivet. The dc says he was single
and 44 years of age.

The Patrick I am looking for was probably born in
Ireland around 1880. He had a family member named
Kate Caulfield Foley. Kate died in 1891 and lived on
State street at that time. According to the voter's
registration of 1890, a Patrick Caulfield lived at
that same State street address. I think (hope) they
were related. Kate's husband, Michael Foley,
witnessed the naturalization papers for a P.J.
Caulfield who was a minor in 1885.

I never found Patrick or P.J. in the 1880 census
though I did find Kate working as a maid. Of course,
we don't have 1890. I never found Patrick or P.J. in
the 1900 Chicago census but he may have moved or
whatever. When Kate died she left at least one living
child, John Joseph Foley. He went to live with his
Foley uncle. Family lore is that there was also a
Jimmie Foley who did not go to the Foley uncle. Maybe
he went with the Caulfields????

A wonderful RAOGK volunteer is getting the
naturalization papers for me so I may get a little
more info on this elusive family.

Anyone able to help or give suggestions? I would be
very grateful.

Janice in North Florida