From: "Dorothy Stanton" <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Immigration route to Chicago
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 12:54:06 -0700

I posted the message below to the Limerick List in response to a query about
immigration routes. I tho't it might be of interest to Chicago Irish
researchers. James and John Stanton (and later Michael) left Kilfinnane Co
Limerick and settled in Chicago.

In answer to the query about immigration routes of the Stantons from
Kilfinnane: we don't know for sure the immigration date of James and John
Stanton from Kilfinnane. We know they were in Chicago by 1858. In the
immigration records at Ancestry, we found a James Stanton age 21, a John age
18 and a Mary age 17 who were on the Governor Morton from Liverpool arriving
in
NY 25 October 1854. The ages are OK for James and John but their sister
Mary (who went to Lowell MA) should have been older. A half-brother Michael
arrived in Chicago just before the 1870 census.

I checked the NY Times for the date of arrival and found an article about
the quick passage of the
clipper ships Phenix (19 days) and Governor Morton (23 days) from Liverpool.
The Gov. Morton lost 30 of her passengers by cholera on the passage.

The same paper has an article titled Immigration to Kansas telling of 42
men, 3 women and 7 children who left the City for Kansas in a train
forwarded by the Kansas League. This party will be joined by upwards of
two hundred other immigrants for the same place at Chicago and intermediate
places.

Another Irish family (Byrne) went from Ireland to Canada and down along the
Hudson River. They stayed in NY state awhile before going to Chicago --
possibly to join their 2 sisters (Margaret and Mary) who had married James
and John Stanton in Chicago.

Dorothy Stanton

Share your special parenting moments!