From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Peacocks
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 23:14:30 -0500

Hi Patricia,

I remember a lovely aunt taking me to Peacock's for an amethyst
necklace for my 12th birthday.
My mother, her older sister, almost made her take it back, thank God
my Dad intervened!
It was my favorite store for decades more. Favorite necklace, too!
I don't think the family owns Peacock's any more though.

One of the Peacocks were neighbors of mine for a while in the late
70s and 80s.
Her husband was a "C.D." CD the 3rd I think. I think, he died long
before her. Lovely woman.
I can't remember her name, maybe Edna? I think he was son of Robert.

Was your Netty cook out at the River Forest home or on Lake Shore?

The Peacocks and the Thatchers are an incredible story, among the
earliest and most prominent settlers in Chicago.
It's astonishing to me that there isn't a book, "The Peacocks of
Chicago". There should be.

Nan