Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Neil McDowell
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 17:06:17 EDT

Dear Nan, Maureen, and Denny,
Thanks for being such great detectives. That is Gladys McDowell the mother
of Neil and wife of William Freeman McDowell. I don't know Neil's date of
birth for certain except on the 1920 census in Ohio his age is listed as 3
11/12ths. That's why I'm thinking he was born in Feb.
1916 birth certificates are supposed to be available but I haven't been able
to find one for McDowell. Do they update them every so often? Maybe I need
to check again. I haven't been able to find a marriage certificate for
William and Gladys. She's from NY and he was from CO. I'm thinking they may
have met in NY and married there?
The 1930 census shows Neil living with both parents, his grandmother and
Aunt. The SSDI shows a William F. McDowell dying in Nov 1972. I'm wondering if
he remarried?

Here's the WW I Draft Registration:
Detail: Registration Location: Cook County, Illinois; Roll: 1452473;
Draft Board: 6. Date: 17 June 1917 Notes:
http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=ww1d
raft&h=9683696&ti=0&indiv=try
Name: William Freeman McDowell
Birth Date: 18 Jun 1893
Birth Place: CO
Residence Date:
Residence Place: Chicago, Cook, Illinois
The address given is 4211 Berkeley Avenue
Has a wife and child

The 1920 census: It is transcribed as William L. but I think it's an "F"
and all the rest fits.
Name: William L McDowell Home in 1920: Toledo Ward 5, Lucas, Ohio Age:
26 years Estimated birth year: abt 1894 Birthplace: Colorado Relation to
Head of House: Head Spouse's name: Gladys E Father's Birth Place: Colorado
Mother's Birth Place: Colorado Marital Status: Married Race: White Sex:
Male Home owned: Rent Able to read: Yes Able to Write: Yes Image: 93
Neighbors: _View others on page_
(http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?viewrecord=1&ti=0&r=an&db=1920usfedcen&F2=OHT625_1409-0093) Household
Members: Name Age _William L McDowell_
(http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1920usfedcen&indiv=try&h=21236718) 26 _Gladys E McDowell_
(http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1920usfedcen&indiv=try&h=21236719) 24
_Neil McDowell_
(http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1920usfedcen&indiv=try&h=21236720) 3 11/12
The 1930 census in IL:
Name: Willian F Mc Dowell Home in 1930: Chicago, Cook, Illinois Age: 37
Estimated birth year: abt 1893 Birthplace: Colorado Relation to Head of
House: Head Mother's name: Sadie A Spouse's name: Glady Race: White
ADDRESS for this census: 1412(?) East 63rd Place

Name Age _Willian F Mc Dowell_
(http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1930usfedcen&indiv=try&h=85186288) 37 _Glady Mc Dowell_
(http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1930usfedcen&indiv=try&h=85186283) 35 _Sadie
A Mc Dowell_
(http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1930usfedcen&indiv=try&h=85186312) 63 _Ada Mc Dowell_
(http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1930usfedcen&indiv=try&h=85186304) 40 _Neil Mc Dowell_
(http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1930usfedcen&indiv=try&h=85186325)
14

The SSDI for William based on name and date of birth:
Name: William SSN: 353-09-5922 Last Residence: 60690 Chicago,
Cook, Illinois, United States of America Born: 18 Jun 1893 Died: Nov 1972
State (Year) SSN issued:
Illinois (Before 1951 )

This is the WW II record of a Neil McDowell that I think is William's son.
Right age and in the same employment category as his father.
Name: Neil McDowell Birth Year: 1916 Race: White, citizen (White)
Nativity State or Country: Illinois State: Illinois County or City: Cook
Enlistment Date: 3 Apr 1942 Enlistment State: Illinois Enlistment City:
Chicago Branch: Air Corps Branch Code: Air Corps Grade Code: Private
Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency,
plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise
according to law Component: Army of the United States - includes the following:
Voluntary enlistments effective December 8, 1941 and thereafter; One year
enlistments of National Guardsman whose State enlistment expires while in the
Federal Service; Officers appointed in the Army of Source: Civil Life
Education: 1 year of college Civil Occupation: Purchasing Agent Or Buyer
Marital Status: Married Height: 66 Weight: 133

Sadie McDowell died in 1950. Gladys died in 1939.

Nan--Your SSDI hit might be him. I'm going to check the TN Census for 1920
and see if the's there.

Thanks!
Barbara