From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Boarding House for irish immigrant women
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 03:56:55 -0500

Hello Anita,
Sorry it took so long to get back to you.
I just didn't find anything about an Irish women's boarding house at
42nd and Berkely.
I looked at the 1920 census from 41st street to 43rd street Lake Park
west to Ellis.
Berkley falls in between.

What I found was there were many people listed as lodgers in this
neighborhood. Often just a few living with a family.

There was a lodging house at 4163 So Ellis (1st west of Berkeley) run
by a Josephine and Elizabeth McGaith.
There were about 14 people living there, men and women.
Another smaller one at 4197 Ellis, run by a Louse Lee.
A small hotel at 4149 Ellis, about 25 lodgers (men and woman) there;
run by Fred and JeanneteTodde.
A Nettie Thompson had a small rooming house at 4141 Ellis.
There was a hotel at 1011 East 41st Street owned by Bernard and Pearl
Korn

There was a Morgan and Mary Camp at 4142 Berkley who had a few lodgers.
Elizabeth Lindow at 4144 Berkley had several lodgers.
Dorothy and Mary Doblins at 4152 Berkley had several lodgers.
There were a number of lodgers at 4201 Berkley (that would be the
corner of Berkley and 42nd).
It looks like there were two large apartments in this building and
two families had lodgers:
Charles andMaudBuck and George and Charlotte Hollnes or Holdes.
There were 7 lodgers at 4219 Berkley with Almira Goodwin.
There was a fairly large boarding/lodging house at what 4201
Greenwood-one street east of Berkley.
This was owned by May and Henry Shamall, but again both men and woman
and mixed ethnic, not exclusively Irish.

Is there a name you can give me?
It's possible that by 1930 one of these properties because
exclusively Irish and woman.
I know you must have been very very young, but is there anything else
you can remember?

Nan