From: Ann Smith <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Fitzgibbon-using Stephen Morse one step
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 21:38:19 -0700 (PDT)

Wow!! this should keep me going till Christmas!!
Thanks,
Ann

Nan Brennan <> wrote:
Hi Ann,

Sometimes when I am stuck, I will use Steven Morse One Step to find
others of the same Surname coming to the US later.

The hope is to find someone who listed a known US relative (in your
case Chicago Fitzgibbons or Gillens, etc) as their destination and a
relationship, ie. aunt, uncle, cousins is given too on the passenger
manifest if you can get page two.

Sometimes I get lucky doing this and will find the townland and a
close relative, sometimes even a parent, of the person I am
searching. Because your Gillens and Fitzgibbons came so early, you
aren't likely to find their parents this way, but you might find an
uncle or a cousin or a sibling and be able to confirm the townland or
placename.

I did a quick check on Gillen/Sligo (using "Sounds like" and I picked
up the misspelling, "Slego". and found 39 Gillens coming from Sligo
through Ellis Island, 1894-1924. The next step would be look at the
records and see who came to Chicago and where did they go. You can
do this for Castlegarden and other ports of immigration, too.

Nan