From: Beth Walsh <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Tommy Makem
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 17:05:01 -0700 (PDT)

Goodness - I can't remember how many times I've seen Tommy, both with the Clancys, with Liam Clancy and on his own.
I remember him buying me a drink at the bar in the Park East in Milwaukee - that had to be about 1985 or thereabouts.
Last time I saw him apparently was his last time performing - at Gaelic Park this past May. He had had to leave the stage abruptly and was taken to the hospital and Tommy Fleming wound up filling in the rest of his time slot. In fact he sang 'Four Green Fields' and dedicated it to Tommy Makem.
When I saw him last July in Cleveland he did not look at all well and I was surprised he was able to keep going as long as he did. However in Milwaukee in August on the last night he seemed almost like his old self.
I'm glad he got to make a final trip back to Ireland, though it must have been really difficult in many ways.

Beth

Nan Brennan <> wrote:
I remember first seeing Tommy Makem solo at the Tom McAuley's Emerald
Isle on Rush St in the early 70s.

This thread: