Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Roll Call McDowell
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 07:07:15 EDT

Hi Nan,
Thanks so much for finding out about the Woodlawn neighborhood article. Do
you know how I can get a copy of the article? I haven't been able to find
Neil after he enlisted in the military for WW II. His wife died in 1939
(Gladys Zimmerman from Brooklyn, NY). It's very strange to me that the cremains of
Sadie McDowell (Mom and Gma) and Charles would be in the storage shed of the
Oak Knoll Cemetery. Sadie died in 1950. You'd think someone would have
claimed her. Seems strange but maybe that's what they did way back then at time?
Her daughter, Ada McDowell, never married and was a stenographer for a
Chicago Co. Someone suggested contacting the company but I'd need to find out the
name and other information about it. Her brother, William, supposedly went
into real estate and is listed in later phone books. Again, I would need the
phone numbers and company names to call and see if anyone has worked there
long enough to know what happened to the family.
I believe the family was Methodist. At least Ada and William were baptized
in the Methodist Church in Denver where they were born in 1890 and 1893.
Sadie dies in 1950.

So...what happened to her husband, Robert McDowell, b. 1852 in Brooklyn,
NY?? Did he die in Denver or Chicago or New York ( his home state)?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I am at a solid wall here in trying to
find out what happened to Neil Mcdowell, the son. His wife died in 1939 and
I would think he might have remarried. Can I look up marriages in Cook
County for 1940-1945? I believe they were Methodists. What would be the closet
Methodist Church to where they were living in 1930 through 1050- when Sadie
dies. Evidently no one in the family had an obituary posted.

All suggestions and help greatly appreciated!
Thanks.
Barbara
Edmonds, WA

In a message dated 7/20/2007 7:01:10 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,