Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] 1880 Census
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 11:39:36 -0400

Dear Listers,

I have been unable to find my g-g-grandfather, Alexander McClelland, in the 1880 Census and hope someone will have a suggestion for me. I have tried many different spellings, searched for neighbors found on the 1870 Census in the 1880 Census, searched with only his first name and birth info, and only last name and birth info. - no luck. His wife died in March of 1880 and I did find her on the 1880 Mortality schedule in Chicago. He remarried in Nov of 1880 in Chicago to Mary Burns, but I have been unable to find her either. I am currently searching the 1880 Census in Chicago for anyone born between 1825 and 1835 in Ireland whose parents were also born in Ireland. Since there are almost 5,000 people that fit this criteria, it's going to take some time.

This is what I know:
* He lived on Arnold n Bridge in 1858. In 1872 he is listed at 108 Arnold.
* By 1878 he is living at 999 S. Lasalle.
*A researcher at the Chicago Historical Society said that in the late 1870s, Arnold was changed to S. Lasalle, so I think he was still in the same house in 1880.
*I found him on the Voters Registration in 1888 at 3536 Wentworth. On an old map from 1871 Arnold ran parallel to Wentworth just 1 street east.
* I couldn't find him in the 1890 Voters Regis.
*I found him in 1892 Voters Regis. living at 5754 Atlantic St.

Do any of you have any suggestions on what else I can do to find him in the 1880 Census? Is there a data base I can search by address or Ward?

Alice
?