Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Chicago Archdiocese Book
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 08:41:47 EDT

I don't remember anyone on the list mentioning this book, but I just received
a copy published by the Archdiocese of Chicago to celebrate the 10-year
anniversary of Cardinal George's Episcopate. The book is titled "Archdiocese of
Chicago, A Journey of Faith". Apparently all the parishes could order copies of
the book to sell? I won my book at the St. Christopher's Fiesta on Friday
night during a raffle for the school alumni (Also won $16.25 at Bingo!)

The book has a history of the archdiocese with some archival photographs,
plus a small commentary with photo about each current parish. Entries include
the name, address, patron, history, architecture and treasure.

Example of current parishes entry (partial):
NATIVITY OF OUR LORD
653 West 37th St., Bridgeport

with exterior and interior photos

Patron: The parish name commemorates the birth of Jesus Christ on Christmas
Day. The name was chosen since the first masses for the congregation were
celebrated in a stable on the grounds of the Union Stockyards.

History: Founded in 1868 to serve the Irish of Bridgeport. The parish has
been closely connected with the Irish politicians who lived in this neighborhood

Architecture: The church, designed in Romanesque style by Patrick Keeley of
Brooklyn .....

Treasure: Joyful Mysteries of the Rosary encircling the chancel ......

The history portion of the book does not give much info on individual
parishes that have closed. For example: St. Martin's in Englewood is noted in the
architecture section as German Gothic style, and there is a small photo -- but
no other info on the parish itself. So not much help for those looking for
specifics, but a wonderful reference, nonetheless.

Kathleen Richmond
Oak Forest IL

Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at