From: patricia meyers <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Interests: Parish Chicago NeighborhoodSurnames
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 07:24:23 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Cathy,
Have you checked the IGI for Sherotsky? I think it must be doubly hard looking for Russian-Polish names. And common names, like your Smiths...the National Archives had THREE reels of soundex films for John Meyer(s)....we still don't know if the family name is Meyer or Meyers! and it's been 150 years since the first Meyer(s) came here....so I switched to the Irish side.....easier to find!

Patti Meyers

Catherine Sherry <> wrote:
Patti,

Oddly, the Sherry is not even remotely Irish, although it looks good on
paper. The Sherry is truncated from Sherotsky, which is Russian/Polish. My
father-in-law legally changed the name as a young man. Sadly, he died before
I could ask him why he did so. My husband is from Long Island, NY, so no
connection with your Sherrys.

However, if anyone ever stumbles along Sherotsky information, let me know!
I've found almost nothing on the family. NY census records are such a mess
that I had to look up people by their addresses, because I knew where they
lived, but could never get their names to come up on the census. The address
avenue worked, and voila, there they were!

Cathy

--

Go Cats!