Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Minogue
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 22:49:22 EDT

Dear Peter,

You have the greatest website! I am really enjoying it. I have been
exploring the Minogue surname since I got home from work today.

I never thought I'd see the name come up so often, not the most common of
names.

Rev. Minogue and my Aunt Margaret Minogue were at a DePaul function years
ago, seated next to one another. They discussed the name, couldn't find a
direct connection, but both assumed we were related somehow.

The farthest I can go back is James Minogue, born in Balynabrone,
O'Callahans Mills, Co. Clare, Ire. He married Phebe Allen and they left Ireland and
are next found in Saratoga Springs, NY in the 1855 census.

James moved to Chicago and started grocery stores and had up to six at one
time. He was very lucky during the Chicago Fire, he was about 3 stores away
from being destroyed. There is an article about him and how generous he was
during the fire. People were repaying him years later.
My Grandfather John and his brother Patrick decided to make shoes and shades.

I will send you more info tomorrow, I do have some little Minogue tidbits.

Thank you, Thank you! for sharing your info.

Ann Minogue Smith