From: Catherine Sherry <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Indenturement
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 07:51:10 -0400

Hello All!

Does anyone have any information on obtaining copies of indenturement
documents? My gg-grandmother was indentured to a family in 1850 in Chicago.
I have a faded copy of the document that was obtained sometime in the early
1980's, but I don't know from where.

Indenturement was commonly used before formal adoption became the standard.
While my gg-grandmother lived with her indentured family, she used their
surname and was considered a daughter. Later, when her indentured parents
died, she used her birth surname again.

I¹d appreciate any information you may have.

Cathy