From: Judith Mason <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Resources used the most
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 20:14:31 -0700 (PDT)

Nancy, another good source for passenger records pre Ellis Island (1892) is
http://www.castlegarden.org/
but know the database is only about 10% complete.

Many of Chicago's Irish immigrants spent time in NY. A source there is the Immigrant Savings Bank database.
http://www.genexchange.org/esb/index.php

Good luck in your search!

Judie Mason
Chicago

Nan Brennan <> wrote:
Nancy,

Online FREE I use EllisIslandRecords.org (Passenger records) Illinois
Marriage and Death index, the Chicago Tribune Historical Archives and
of course, familysearch.org for the IGI records. Also free, there is
a tremendous amount of info at Rootsweb, but it takes time to learn
to use that site productively.

I subscribe to Ancestry.com which is available at libraries for
free. They have a multitude of databases, but I probably use their
census, immigration (passenger records) and wwI draft notices and
Irish in Chicago databases the most. You can also access some of
these databases, at least the censes, through the libraries: ProQuest
(or from home if you have a Chicago LIbrary card.)

Good question......I hope we get many more answers.

Nan

This thread: