From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Rita Clubs?
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 17:44:00 -0500

Hello Susan,

How interesting. For many years there was a woman's temporary
residence organization called "The Eleanor Club" in Chicago.
One of their residences was on the corner of North Avenue and
Dearborn. I lived there for a few months in the earlier 70s.
I believe they finally closed down in 2001.

But your address 158-162 North Avenue must be quite close to the same
location.
The official address of the Eleanor North Ave residence was 1550 N
Dearborn. The Eleanor Club was not run by nuns however.

It was started at the turn of the century for housing for working
woman who were not allowed to live in the downtown clubs.
I think their mission has changed somewhat in recent years, still
involved with woman but more focused on affordable housing for low-
income woman and giving money and support to other women's
organizations .

The Rita Club was a national Catholic organzation and I think it may
have had more several residences in Chicago. I found these two Trib
classified ads from 1933:

North Av W 158. Rita Club No 1 for girls; complete service daily;
wonderful food. $6.7.50 wkly, Diversey D654.

West Side. Jackson Blvd 1700--Rita Club No 1 for girls. complete
service daily; wonderful food. $6.7.50 wkly, Seclay 0530.

The Rita Clubs were sponsored by "The Mission of Our Lady of Mercy"
according to a 1968 obituary of a 90 yr old Mary A. Cogley, who had
been "director of the West Side Rita Club for 23 years"...and
director of the Rita Club at West North Avenue in Chicago for
17years..."

Full obit of Mary A. Cogley here: http://www.fulco.lib.in.us/
Genealogy/Tombaugh/Obituaries/Pdf/1968.pdf

Nan