Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] 1870 census
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 15:58:40 EDT

Bill,

My great grandfather can be found nowhere in arrivals either. Yet I think I
found both of his sisters arriving into New York several years before he
came. I think the difference was that we believe, from things said in the
family, he may have taken a cargo ship from Ireland to Canada and just came across
the border to join his sisters in Chicago.

I guess the ships returning empy of the cargo they carried to Europe were
much cheaper than passenger ships - also a lot more dangerous, and people were
packed in. According to the family story, many died on the ship enroute. He
came about 1865 - just before Lincoln's funeral train came through Chicago
enroute to Springfield for burial.

Maureen