Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] 1870 census
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 13:04:50 -0500

Moe,

Yes, she could. Johanna Dooley was her sister & Maurice her brother-in-law. Also in the home is Edward Hennessey, her brother, and Ella Morrissey, her eldest daughter. They are on the top of page 441. However, Hannah (my gr grandmother) is not present. Why didn't she bring Hannah to the US also? Hannah would have been 3 at the time. It seems odd.

The problem is that family history does not give any indication when John died, only around 1870. My gr grandmother was born in 1867 and my great great grandmother remarried around 1871 (not sure if in Newfoundland or in Chicago), according to the 1900 census. I'm not sure of the proper mourning period before someone gets remarried, in those days. Possibly one year?

There are no records in the Illinois Archives Database that indicate a Patrick Ledwell and Elizabeth Morrissey having married. Therefore, I am thinking Elizabeth wanted to go back to Newfoundland to get remarried, since both were originally from Newfoundland. There is this: COTTER, PATRICK J MORRISSEY, ELIZABETH (MRS) 01/30/1882 / 00059499 COOK, but I am not sure it is them. Besides, they are in the 1880 census as being married with children.

Bill