Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] More Thoughts on Project Idea
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 11:25:39 EDT

I'm glad there's interest in the idea of starting a collection of Irish civil
record index films. The two likeliest locations would seem to be the
Schaumburg FHC (because they already have the marriage films, but do they have the
room and would they be interested?) and the Irish American Heritage Center (an
obvious fit, but would they have to become an FHC and how difficult would that
be?)

Margaret noted that it costs $16.75 to put each film on extended (virtually
permanent) loan. From 1864 through 1883 there's one birth index year per film
with one exception (1881-82 on one film), then it's two per year through 1920,
ending with one film for 1921, for a total of 39 birth index films through
1921. Deaths are generally two years per film until 1900, then three years per
film through 1921, for a total of 28 death index films through 1921. (The
indexes continue up through 1958, but the earlier years would seem to be more useful
for most people researching their ancestors.)

As I wrote earlier, Schaumburg has marriages 1864 through 1905 and Wilmette
has marriages from 1889 through 1901. Schaumburg also has deaths 1898-99 and
Wilmette has births for 1869 and 1875. I didn't go to Buffalo Grove, but when I
called, it didn't sound like they had much (perhaps Margaret can confirm
this). I don't know what Naperville has. (I live in Arlington Heights, so that
would be a hike for me.)

Once you've found a likely suspect in the index (right name and age and
general vicinity), you can order the actual registration through the GRO in Ireland
or the LDS if it's been filmed. You can read up on the civil record system in
Grenham or Ryan, or go to www.groireland.ie to see what information is
provided in the various registrations. Briefly, birth tells place and date, parents'
names (including mother's maiden name), and father's occupation. Marriage
tells date and place, bride's and groom's names and ages, occupation, marital
status, father's names and occupations. Death tells place and date, marital
status, age, occupation, name of informant and whether present at death, and cause
of death.

They've been a great help to me. For my father's mother, originally all I
knew was her parents' names, her birthdate in 1873, and her county. I had no
parish, so couldn't look for baptismal records. However, I found her in the civil
birth index (different spelling of last name, of course, and Bridget instead
of Delia), which led me to her parish and townland and eventually a great
visit with a second cousin still on the family farm.

Putting the films on extended loan would initially be more expensive than
checking each one out short term, but over time it would save the group money,
especially if we set up a system where one person a week would do lookups for
anyone who asked.

It would make sense to start out small, and for most people births are more
useful than deaths, so we might start with births 1864-83, on 19 rolls of film.
Extended loan would be $318.25. We could start out by asking everyone on the
list to make a donation, then ask nonlisters who requested lookups to make a
one-time donation with their first request. Over time, as the donations
accumulated, we could get more film.

I can't make the luncheon, but maybe those who can can discuss this and see
how much interest there is. Enjoy!

Diane

</HTML>

This thread: