From: Judith Mason <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Birth-Death Indexes
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 08:09:01 -0700 (PDT)

Good Morning Listers!

Has anyone checked the permanent collection at the Wilmette FHC? I've found them to have just about any record I've needed for IL, COOK and CHICAGO both civil and religious. Thay also have a considerable collection of Irish records, but I'm not sure how complete the B-M-D index films are.

Judie Mason

wrote:
I like Diane's idea of ordering all the B-D index films at one location --
since Schaumburg is a central suburban site and already has the marriage
indexes, it would seem to be the natural location.

The LDS charges $5.75 for one (one-month) rental, $5.50 for the first
renewal (two-months) and $5.50 for the
second rental (indefinite or extended loan) -- total for one film for an
extended loan is $16.75. The latter extension can be almost permanent, if the
original orderer has continued interest in the film or the center decides that
it is a collection worth maintaining (subject only to recall by Salt Lake
City, usually for legal reasons) and they have room to store the films. This
is how it works at Buffalo Grove, where I volunteer.

We would have to know how many films there are to be ordered and whether
Schaumburg would be willing to store them indefinitely before proceeding.

As for purchasing the films for a non-LDS location, that is something that
would have to be discussed between the officials of both organizations. The
permissions granted to the LDS for microfilming may not permit such a sale.

Because of the last statement, it would seem to be easier to get the ok from
the Schaumburg FHC to order and store the films with them.

Margaret McCarthy