Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Project Idea
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 12:07:42 EDT

I can't make this luncheon either (and have difficulty with restaurant
meetings because of my poor hearing) but have another project suggestion. I recently
spent two days in an Oklahoma Family History Center going through all the
Irish civil birth and death record indexes on film, looking for likely relatives.
(My husband and I were going to Oklahoma anyway for a concert...) As most of
you know, if you can find your people in the indexes, you can then get the
actual registration with lots of good information through the LDS or the General
Registry Office in Dublin. I found dozens of good prospects.

This little center has all the filmed indexes because one volunteer, not a
Mormon, was interested in Irish genealogy and started ordering the film years
ago. In the Chicago area, the Schaumburg FHC has the marriage indexes from 1864
(when registration began for Catholics) through 1905, but it, Buffalo Grove,
and Wilmette have only a few of the birth and death index films.

The civil records help researchers work backwards in time from when most
ancestors emigrated to when Catholic parish record films end, usually around 1870
because of the new civil record system. Would people be interested in pooling
our resources and beginning a collection of civil record birth and death index
films at one of the local FHCs? (To learn more about the civil record system,
see Grenham or Ryan or go to www.groireland.ie)

Diane Culhane </HTML>

This thread: