From: Maryl <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Brennan Packing Family
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 21:16:13 -0400

Hello Nan - I got curious about this family (because Patrick (below) is
an in-law to a family I research) and I think this is them in the 1880
Census:
Name Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age Birthplace Occupation
Father's Birthplace Mother's Birthplace
Mary BRANNON Self W Female W 42 IREL Farmer IREL IREL
Maggie BRANNON Dau S Female W 26 IREL IREL IREL
Thomas BRANNON Son S Male W 23 IREL IREL IREL
Dominic BRANNON Son S Male W 21 IREL IREL IREL
Pattrick BRANNON Son S Male W 19 IREL IREL IREL
James BRANNON Son Male W 17 IREL IREL IREL
Bernard BRANNON Son Male W 15 WI IREL IREL
Eugena BRANNON Son Male W 14 WI IREL IREL
John BRANNON Son S Male W 12 WI IREL IREL
Eduard BRANNON Son S Male W 8 WI IREL IREL
Francis BRANNON Son S Male W 4 WI IREL IREL
Winford BRANNON Dau S Female W 10 WI Tending School
IREL IREL
Nora BRANNON Dau S Female W 6 WI Tending School IREL
IREL
Source Information: Census Place Little Falls, Monroe, Wisconsin
Family History Library Film 1255439, NA Film Number T9-1439, Page
Number 9B

In 1870, this family is also listed as Brannon in Monroe County,
Wisconsin, with the father James still living. I have been told that
Irish immigrants might pronounce the letter "E" as "A"
when spelling their names and this may account for being listed as
Brannon rather than Brennan, regards, Maryl

>Thanks to Judy Rice for letting me know that this Bernard Brennan
>obit that I posted is a Co (Kilcolman) MAYO Brennan family.
>Here's more from Judy on this family:
>

>>Brennan, Bernard G., died Dec. 29, 1930 at the age of 65 years. He
>>was born in Sparta, WI, and in 1883 came to Chicago where he opened
>>a brokerage business in the Stockyards. In 1897 he opened the
>>Brennan Packing Co. He married Elizabeth Grace and had three
>>children: Bernard, James and Rosemary. He was one of eleven boys
>>and three girls of James Brennan and Mary Flannery who emigrated
>>from Ballaghadereen, (Parish Kilcolman) Co. Mayo.
>>
>>Source Information:
>>Cook, Tom. Chicago Irish Families. [database online] Provo, UT:
>>Ancestry.com, 1998, 2000.

This thread: