From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Military Records Free Trial
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 04:41:52 -0500

Karen,

There are several BGMI entires that may be your Arthur L Schipper
(BGMI Biography and Genealogy Master Index)

Schipper Arthur L 1909-
American Men & Women of Science. A biographical directory of today's
leaders in physical, biological, and related sciences. 12th edition,
Physical & Biological Sciences. Seven volumes. New York: R.R. Bowker,
1971-1973. (AmMWSc 12P)

American Men & Women of Science. A biographical directory of today's
leaders in physical, biological, and related sciences. 13th edition,
Physical & Biological Sciences. Seven volumes. New York: R.R. Bowker,
1976. (AmMWSc 13P)

Who's Who in Government. Second edition, 1975-1976. Chicago: Marquis
Who's Who, 1975. (WhoGov 2)

I notice in his ssdi record that his SS# was issued in Indiana, do
you think he may have married there?
Did he have a son Arthur L Schipper Jr., born 1940? There is also a
BGMI entry for ALS jr in
Who's Who in Science and Engineering(R) (Marquis(TM)). Third
edition, 1996-1997. New Providence, NJ: Marquis Who's Who, 1996.
(WhoScEn 3)
Also, there was this article in "The Jackson Sentinel" Maquoketa Iowa
on Dec 3, 1954

FORMER ANDREW MAN IS NAMED JOURNAL EDITOR

"Andrew. Dec 2. Dr Arthur L Schipper, son of Mrs Anna Shipper (sic)
of Andrew has been named editor of The American Midland Naturalist,
his mother has been notified.

A member of the University of Notre Dame Faculty at South Bend Ind.,
Dr Schipper will edit the University's scientific journal. He is a
member of the university's biology department.

The journal which the former Andrew man will edit has achieved
national and international recognition among botanists and zoologists.

Dr Schipper received his bachelor's degree from Coe College in Cedar
Rapids. He was awarded his master's degree and his doctorate frm
the State University of Iowa.

Before joining the Notre Dame faculty in 1948, he taught at Texas A&M
college"

also this article in the same paper on Oct 16, 1959

DR. ARTHUR L. SCHIPPER, EX-ANDREW RESIDENT, MOTHER'S WEEKEND GUEST.
by Ann Neuman

"Andrew, Oct 15. Dr Arthur L Schipper, biologist with the National
Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland, a US public health service
related to cancer research, was a weekend guest of his mother, Mrs
Anna Schipper, and visited his brother and sister-in-law, Mr and Mrs
John Schipper at Bellevue. He was attending a conference in Chicago
and came by plane to Dubuque."

The Washington Post Aug 3, 1963 carried the notice of his daughter's
engagement: Mala ann to 1st Lt William Lee Schuster of Benton Pa.
""""""""""""""""""""""""""" Jul 16, 1968, carried the notice of his
son's engagement: Ross E Schipper to Nancy Carol Zellmer
""""""""""""""""""""""""""" Oct 14, 1974 carried this obituary

"On Friday, October 11, 1974, Arthur L Schipper of Bethesda Md,
beloved husband of Mildred J Schipper, father of Arthur L Schiper,
Jr., Roseville, Minn, Ross E Schipper, Hyattsville Md and Mrs Mala A
Schulster, Whitehall, Md. He is also survived by his brother,
Johnnie Schipper, Bellevue Iowa.
Memorial services will be conducted at the Christ Lutheran Georgetown
Rd and Glenbrook Lutheran Church of Bethesda, 8001 Old Bethesada Md
on Monday Oc 14 at 8pm. The family requests that memorial
contributions be made to The American Cancer Society or to the
Patient Welfare Fund, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda Md.
Interment private. Arrangements by Tyson Wheeler Funeral Home"

I imagine there is a lot more information to be found on this man.

Nan