From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] correction "I'll take you Home Again Kathleen"Westendorf
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 21:21:57 -0500

Thanks to Larry of this list, former president of the Plainfield
Historical Society, for checking out this story and providing me with
the following information:

My posting that this song by TPW was first performed in Plainfield Il
was incorrect.
Apparently, this misinformation has been circulating for many
years.....decades even.

It was Plainfield Indiana, not Illinois. Several serious historians
and researchers have investigated this rather thoroughly.
TPB family did have a strong Chicago and Illinois connection. He
lived in Chicago as a young man (born VA), studied music and law
here, worked here at the reform school in Pontiac, and returned here
later in life and according to the Tribune died at Mercy Hospital in
1923 and is buried in Mt Greenwood Cemetery. It is believed that he
may also have had a connection to people in Plainfield Il, but the
song was not first performed there.

Also, the song probably had nothing to do with his wife, Jennie/Jeanie.

Larry also provided info about a very long artistic/musical
collaboration between Thomas Westendorf and another famous and
prolific American Songwriter, George W. Persley. "I'll Take You Home
Again Kathleen" was a songbook answer to Persley's "Barney,Take Me
Home Again".

Thanks Larry and Mike Lambert of the Plainfield Historical Society.

Nan

This thread: