From: "Bonnie Brown" <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Answering Nan
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 17:48:48 -0500

Hi Nan-

To answer your questions:

No, the Daily News obits are not indexed in any way that I've found (grrrr.)

I've just used death dates from the Sec'y of State website. It was the

afternoon paper, so I start looking on the death date, just in case.

Divorce cases are indexed twice.by plaintiff and defendant (different films)

by year the divorce was filed. Since in most divorces the two parties

had the same surname, I've usually only had to check one film*

(* note, though that there are two city courts, Circuit and Superior,

AND also satellite courts, in Blue Island, Chicago Heights and Calumet

City that handled divorces, and, of course, each has its own set of

It was apparently less expensive to file at the satellites, so it wasn't
only southsiders

that used those facilities. ) I've actually been grateful for having both
plaintiff and

defendant indexes, when one or the other was an illegibly-light film.there's
always

the other for backup.

Probates are indexed by year of filing, so if your ancestor died in
December,

I'd check the following year as well as the death year. Same with wills

(again, two separate indexes). All probates and wills were (thankfully)
handled

downtown, so there's only one film for each (probate and will) per year.

If our moderator will allow me a little plug, I do divorce/will/probate
lookups

for a small fee in Cook County. It takes me two trips (one index, one to
review/copy

the file), but the work can be accomplished in about 1-2 weeks. I can also
do

Harold Washington Library work, though Molly in Springfield can do newspaper

obit lookups much more reasonably than I can. (end of advertisement).

Bonnie

This thread: