From: "Bonnie Brown" <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] One Day to Research in Chi
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 21:43:50 -0500

Harold Washington library has all the old directories.no, they're not

difficult to look at, although you'll be amazed at how many of

the microfilm machines are out-of-order. I've never had to wait. Some of

the films are pretty scratched, and kind of light, but you'll be ok. Bring

magnifying glass, as the working machines don't always zoom enough for the
tiny

type of city directories! Keep your valuables nearby.it's where

many of the area's homeless go to get out of the weather. They open at
9am.

Same microfilm room at Harold Washington also has all of the Chicago
newspapers.

I've had best success finding obits for my south-side Irish in the

Chicago Daily News.not online anywhere that I know of. Tribune was more of

north-side newspaper until the 1940's or so.

You might think about visiting the Daley Center-the courthouse, Circuit
Court

archives if you think an ancestor was divorced or had a will/probate.

The files aren't kept on site, but if you find them in an index, I'm

sure you can have copies sent to you later. (room 1118 or 1113, I forget

the exact number, but you'll find it easily). They're EXTREMELY helpful

and friendly in this office. This office is open M-F 8:30-4:30.

Newberry Library is a short bus ride away.go to Michigan Avenue, take

the northbound 151 bus to Water Tower Place, then walk west about 3-4

blocks. It is a wealth of info. you'll be frustrated to only have one day
there!

Be aware they're not open on Monday. They open at 10am weekdays, 9 on Sat.

I'd skip the Chicago Historical Museum. I've found limited info there on

"common" people, and there's an attitude there, or so I've found.

Just my $.02. Good luck!

Bonnie

This thread: