From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Visit to Chicago: 1885-1905 CityDirectories??
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 13:56:13 -0500

Hello Kelly,

Below are some directory entries on some of the surnames you are
interested in.

Unless there is something specific you are looking for at the
library, I wouldn't spend your only day in the library,
but I'll be interested to hear what others on the list suggest.

LIsters--what do you think Kelly could accomplish at Chicago Historical?

You might try to map (and translate**) these addreses before you come
and maybe visit some of them while you are here.
Not all will be neighborhoods you would be safe in, but some would be.
** Street names and numbers changed for some in 1905.

Hope this helps.

Nan

There is only one Dushane b Wisconsin (w/o looking for misspellings
or variant spellings) in the 1892 Chicago Voters Registration:

F.L. Dushane
born Wisconsin
1yr in state of Illinois; 1yr in county 1yr in precinct.
2000 W Lake St.

2 Wisconsin born Dushanes in the 1900 Illinois census:

Philip Dushane
lived in Fairfield Il (Bureau Co). age b Wisconsin April 1877
day laborer, living at a hotel/inn owed by a Joseph Kelley
single age 23

Maud Dushane,
Living in village of Desplaines, Maine Township Cook County
age 15, born Wisconsin Feb 1855
Niece, living with aunt/uncle George and Mary Hodgins
(children of George and Mary: Alberta 1894; George 1896; Marlan?
dau 1897; Clifford 1898)

Hodgins1890 Chicago Voter Reg
Mike Hodgins, b Wisconsin; 2 Hubbard Court,
5mos in precinct 10 yrs in county; 10 yrs in state

Tom Hodgins, b Ireland, (?St and 40th st)
2 mos in precinct, 10 yrs in county, state
naturalized 1878 Circuit Court of Cook County

1892 Chicago Voter Reg
Archibald Hodginsb Canada
G. Hodginsb Wisconsin
49 40th St. 1yr precinct, 5yr county, 9 yr state
John Hodginsb Michigan
J Hodginsb Wisconsin
279 N May St5 yrs preinct, 8yr county 8yr state
N Hodginsb Wisconsin
1630 Wabash, 10mos precinct, 12 yrs county/state
Thos Hodginsb Ireland

1888Chicago Voter Reg
John Burke, b Wisc
2817 Shields, 4 yrs, P/C/S
Ed Burke, b Wisc
3016 Keeley St 1yr P, 14 yrs C/S
Thos H Burke, b Wisc
310 LaSalle, 5mos P, 7yrs C/S
Edward Burke, b Wisc
5044 Wentworth,3mos P, 2yrs C, 25 yrs S

1890Chicago Voter Reg-Burke
Edward ** same as Keely st above
John** same as Shields above
John E b Wisc
4228 Carrol Ave, 4yrs P/C/S
Johne E b Wisc
1726 Buckingham 8mos P; 3yrs C/S

1892Chicago Voter Reg-Burke
John E. b Wisc
207? Carroll Ave 11 yrs P/C/S
JOhn P. b Wisc
2519 39th St, 2yrs P/C/S
Miles Burke b Wisc
109 53rd St 14mos P, 7yrs C; 24 yrs S
Richard Burke b Wisc
87 88th Ct,1yr P; 5yrs C/S
Thomas Burke Jr
3122 Lasalle, 15 yrs P/C/S
living with ? father Thomas, born Ireland (30yrs P; 42 yrs C/S US
papers 1855)
W.J. Burke