Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Help with McDowell's?
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 14:40:54 -0400

Hi Nan,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I haven't been able to find him in the death records.  They didn't start keeping them until 1890 in Mamakating (Sullivan County).  I found my GGM listed because she died in 1891.  Robert can't be found on census records even though he has the Emigrant Savings Bank acct that he opened in 1854 and had his brother, Charles, added in 1862.

It seems the Robert's have a way of disappearing.  His son, Robert, born in Brooklyn, NY in 1852 is last mentioned in the 1910 census living in Denver with his wife and two children: Sadie Freeman McDowell, Ada McDowell (b. 1890) and William Freeman McDowell (b. 1893).  I thought I saw a listing for Robert McDowell about 1915 and he was listed as a bookkeeper in Denver.  In the 1920 census his wife and daughter are in Chicago and his son, wife and grandson (Neil) are living in Toledo, Ohio.  (I think I put the wrong city in my initial post:-().

The reason I think Robert McD, Sr was alive till 1876 at least is because of the family lore that he didn't want his youngest daughter to marry James Reilly/Riley from Ireland.  They married in Jan 1876 in Brooklyn, NY and are in the 1880 census in Mamakating with her mother a widow, she and her husband and children, and her sister Eliza who has the 'mentally deficient' box checked.

If I could find Ellen in the 1875 census in Brooklyn I would know a lot more.  But that census isn't indexed and seems impossible to search for her even though I know her address from her Jan 1876 mariage license.  I'd also like to see the special census for the mentally deficient for NYS to see more info about the sister, Eliza.  Does anyone on the list know how I can access that?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Still determined to find my McDowell's.

:-) Barbara