Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] "irish trivia" plainfield illinois
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 16:31:28 EDT

In a message dated 5/25/2007 3:22:19 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
writes:

I'll Take You Home Kathleen is not, in fact, a tune of Irish origin.
It was written in 1875 by Thomas Westendorf, a public school music
teacher in Plainfield, Illinois, and was the first public performance
of the tune was in Plainfield's town hall. Westendorf wrote the tune
for his wife Jeanie, while she was visiting her home town of
Ogdensburg, New York.
In 1876 it was one of two most popular songs in America - the other
being Grandfather's Clock.

And I thought I knew Plainfield history! Learn something new every day,
Thanks. Larry