From: Judith Mason <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Clark
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 13:04:01 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Kathy,

How wonderful that you have been progressing with your ancestor search. As for a Chicago visit, I think you'd be better off visitng the Archdiocese Archives rather than expecting to look at records at the local chrches..........most, if not all, will not allow their books to be searched. Be sure to call ahead for an appointment with the archives.

Two other must visits would be the Newberry Library here in Chicago and the Wilmette Family History Center...............just a short drive or elevated/bus ride from downtown Chicago. Both have fabulous collections of Chicago, church and Cook County records.

Judie Mason
Chicago

Kathy & Pete DYER <> wrote:
Listers; I think I will tell you all about my Clark dilemma and see if some of you that live in Chicago can offer me some advice. All the info I have found out on this family has been by serendipity.
I was looking for a marriage in our local paper for 1912 and mistakenly looked in 1911 and found an obit of John S. Clark of Chicago which said related to the Smith's and McCauley's of Boulder Valley (MT which is where I live) Many family members stayed in Chicago on their trek west and have been lost to the family. So I have spent a year searching censuses and church records at FHL in Salt Lake trying to find out more on this family. I did find them in the 1900 and 1910 census in Chicago. This John was born in NY City but, I guess was very prominent in Chicago politics. I have Jack Bochar's book on Catholic churches in Chicago, so I tried to figure which church they may have attended going by where they lived in the census and directories. (4266 Grand Ave.) and went through the church records at the FHL. Now after a query on the Arch dioceses, I have received a lengthy obit of the son, John S. Clark. Thank you so much for this Mary, it gave me lots more info.
and a lead to Resurrection Church where his funeral was, also, the Arch dioceses identified the church where the 1st John was married (Holy Family) so now I can send for films and look at those records.
Any other advice from Chicagoans would be appreciated. I plan to visit there in August. Can I look at records at the church? Do I need to go to the Arch diocese record center. Thanks so much for your help. Kathy