Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Help with McDowell's?
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 17:43:16 -0400

Hi,

Someone suggested I join your list and warned me in advance :-) that you are a great group of folks! So here goes with my McDowell saga.

Robert McDowell married Eliza Byrne (?? Bkyn??) Robert came to the US in 1841. He was born in 1812 in Clonbroney, 3 miles from Edgeworthstown. He has an account at the Emigrant Savings Bank. His brother, Charles, b. 1816 co-signs his brother's account in the 1860s.

Their Children:

1852 Son is born in Brooklyn, Robert McDowell I call him Robert Jr.
1853/4 Daughter is born in Michigan. (Eliza) I call her Eliza Jr. (Why was she born in MI?)
1859 Daughter Ellen is born in Brooklyn, NY This is my Great-grandmother

1880 Census shows Eliza, Eliza Jr, Ellen and her husband James Reilly/Riley and children living in Mamakating, NY.

1886 Robert Jr married Sarah Ann "Sadie" Freeman (b. VA 1865) in Denver, CO
They have two children. Both born in Denver, CO. Robt is Secretary Auditor of the CO-Eastern RR till it closes in 1914.

Ada V. born in 1890 who never marries
William Freeman b. in Jun 1893 who marries Gladys Zimmerman (from NY) in 1915 or so.
They have a son, Neil, in 1916. Born in IL.

1917 I have William's WW I Registration card showing he is in Chicago working for Quaker Oats. Married, child.

1920 William and his family are living in Topeka, Ohio and he's working in the cereal business.
Ada is living in a rooming house with what I've concluded is her mother. Ada's a stenographer. The mother's info is garbled. Male name but checked female box. States of birth for parents and self are correct. She's listed as married.
No mention of Robert.

1930
Sadie, Ada, Robert, Gladys and Neil are living in the same house in Chicago.

1939 William's wife, Gladys, dies from pneumonia. She's cremated and in the storage shed of Oakwoods Cemetery.

1942 There's a WW II document showing Neil McDowell b. in 1916 married. He's purchasing agent. I think this may be Neil, the son. I can't find any record of Neil past this point.

1950 Sadie dies and is cremated. Her cremains are in the storage shed at Oakwoods Cemetery along with Gladys'. (The fellow at the cemetery was a little surprised to find that.)

1972 William dies. Will?

1981 Ada dies in Chicago. Will?

My dilemma:

What happened to Robert Sr? Can't find a death record in CO. Haven't come up with one in Denver. Is Sadie really a widow in 1920 in Chicago and the census taker wrote down married instead?

Did Robert Jr. remarry after Gladys' death in 1939? If so, who is the new family and where are they?
Where did Robert Jr die and where is he buried?

Neil. I can't find Neil anywhere. He's not listed as a casualty of WW II. So far no info on spouse/children. I'm hoping he had children that I might be able to contact. Not in the SSDI. Someone suggested his name might have been Cornelius but can't find any evidence of that. Just can't find a Neil anywhere.

When Ada died was there a relative that took custody of her possessions? Where is she buried?

The only other piece of information I know is that the family was Methodist. Perhaps there's a Methodist Church in Chicago that they attended?

Thanks for any assistance/advice. Still hunting my McDowell's from Longford, IRE.

:-) Barbara Curtis
Edmonds, WA