From: <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Dunning
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 09:57:58 -0500

In the mid 70s, I remember transferring buses right in front of the grounds
twice/day while attending Steinmetz HS. A few times a week, patients out
walking the grounds would stop by to talk through the iron fence to those of
us waiting for our bus. At first, being only 15-16, I was a bit
uncomfortable. Yet, after watching the dialogue between the other riders and
the patients, I soon became more comfortable with them. I even initiated
conversations with a few of the regulars. One time, this sweet old man
handed me dandelions through the fence.

After I'd get on the bus, I would feel so good thinking how I may have
brightened their day and somehow made them feel that what they had to say
and who they are was important. Of course, as I got older, I realized that's
what they were doing for me also.

-Mary

This thread: