IRISH-IN-CHICAGO-L Archives

Archiver > IRISH-IN-CHICAGO > 2007-05 > 1178635566


From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Andrew and D.S Dunning of Dunning Illinois
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 09:46:06 -0500


History of Cook County:

ANDREW DUNNING, engaged in the real estate and nursery business, was
born in Du Page Count), Ill., in 1839, son of D. S. and Hannah
Dunning. Mr. Dunning established. the fruit and nursery business,
which he followed until 1861, when he enlisted in Company D, 8th
Illinois Cavalry, as a private. In 1862 he was promoted to Orderly
Sergeant, and in 1864 received commission as First Lieuteuant. He
participated in the battles of Williamsburg, Fair Oaks, the seven-
days battle following, the second Bull Run, South Mountain, Antietam,
Fredericksburg, battle of the Wilderness, Gettysburg, Williamsport,
and in other engagements of his command sixty-three in all. He was
wounded at Madison CourtHouse by a gunshot in the right arm, at the
battle of Fair Oaks he received a certificate of commendation from
General Keyes, commander of the 4th Army Corps, for meritorioun
conduct. He was mustered out at the close of the war. In 1865 he
located in Jefferson Township and again engaged in the nursery
business. He owns sixty acres m Section 19, Township 40, Range 13,
forty acres of which he has platted and laid out into the village of
Dunning, the location for a town being a beautiful one; it is on an
elevation of about twelve feet above the surrounding country, giving
the most complete drainage and healthful location. His fruit orchard
contains about seven hundred cherry, four hundred apple, and one
hundred pear trees, with a variety of small fruit. His nursery
contains principally shade and ornamental trees. Mr. Dunning was
married in 1867 to Miss Mary H. Waters, daughter of Benjamin and Mary
Waters. They have three children. David B., Geraldine and Willie A.
He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, A. F. & A. M., a Royal Arch
Mason and a Sir Knight, Silome Commandery, No. 54. He owns an
interest in a stock ranch in Nebraska, 15x30 miles, on which they
have about 4,000 head of cattle.


D. S. DUNNING, an old settler, came to Cook County in 1836 and laid
claim to land eighteen miles west of Chicago, in what is now DuPage
County, and after preparing some timber for a log cabin, returned to
Canada, where he resumed his former occupation of school teaching, at
which he continued until July, 1838, when he, with his wife, bade
adieu to Canada, and reaclred their new home after a tedious trip of
over a week around the lakes. He was the head of the Government
surveyors, and resided on his claim two years before there were any
boundaries to distinguish it from the great open prairies lying
around, except a furrow, which among settlers was sacred. In 1844 he
sold out (as was the cus-toml to a German, and re-invested in a small
farm near by, adding to the usual branches of farming vegetable
gardening for the Chicago market, and a few years later commenced
propagating the now noted early Richmond cherry trees, and became the
most extensive grower of that fruit in the Northwest. In 1865 he
bought a farm of eighty acres near the village of Jefferson, Cook
County, and left a son in charge of the old place. The same year he
sold a half-interest in the farm at Jefferson to his oldest son, A.
Dunning, which partnership continues till the present time. They
subsequently sold the first purchase in Jefferson to a Boston
capitalist, and purchased one hundred and twenty acres, which they
still own. and on which is located the new town of Dunning. Since his
residence here he has devoted his attention to horticulture
principally. Mr. Dunning was born in Clinton County, N. Y., May 19,
1812. He was brought up on a farm in his native county. From 1833 to
1838 he resided near Hamilton, in Canada, where he was married to
Miss Hannah J. Nash, of the same place, June 18, 1834. They have
seven children now to bless them--Andrew, Mary A. (now the widow of
John Miner), Samuel N., Freeman H., Russell O., James Mc. and Albert.
Mr. Dunning is deacon in the Congregational Church, and has resided
in the village of Jefferson since November, 1866.


This thread: