From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] 1905 Directory of Asylums and Institutions
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 09:08:24 -0500

Hi Karen,

Dunning was originally opened as a poor farm or almshouse around 1850.
There was a working farm there until about 1950.
Later an insane asylum was added and an infirmary was added.
There was a cemetery there, too, a "Potters Field" run by Cook County.
Orphaned children were buried there, too. There are also some Civil
War Veterans and unidentified victims of the Chicago Fire buried there.

Around 1912 it was taken over from Cook County by the State of
Illinois and renamed
Chicago State Hospital. It became one of the first training
facilities for psychiatric nurses in the country.
A children's facility was added in the 1930s I think, called the
Horner center.
In the late 60s new facilities were built across the street and they
are still there, Chicago Read Mental Health Center.

The original buildings have all been torn down and south east end of
the old acreage is a shopping complex.
The north west end is being developed now.

Chicago Read was one of the largest mental health facilities in the
United States.

My husband was on the psychology staff there for many years, from
about 1974 to 1999.

I'm not sure but about the name Dunning, Dunning was the name of the
township which was outside the city limits at that time. Maybe the
original settlers of that rural area were named Dunning.

Nan