Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] 1905 Directory of Asylums and Institutions
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 08:44:31 EDT

In a message dated 5/8/2007 2:36:36 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
writes:

http://genealogytrails.com/ill/cook/1905asylums.html

I looked through this site & was amazed to see :

COOK COUNTY INSANE ASYLUM
6400 Irving Park Road (corner of Irving Park and Narragansett)
Located at Dunning, Ill.

COOK COUNTY POORHOUSE
6400 Irving Park Road (corner of Irving Park and Narragansett)
Dunning P. O.

Dunning, Illinois?? I lived in the area of North Ave & Oak Park Ave, not
that far from "Dunning" as the property was called & that was definitely
Chicago in the 1940's & currently. Where did the Dunning, Illinois come from? My
girlfriend & I took a tour of the place one day at their open house in the
late 50's. Bad idea - I can still remember very vividly, the horrible scenes we
saw, especially the ward where the young mothers, most in their 30's, were
clutching baby dolls. Now they call it post partum(?) depression & it can be
treated if addressed in time. I believe the place has been torn down now or
at least closed. Whatever happened to all of those people ? Would be
interested to hear more on this if anyone knows.

Thanks,
Karen
(mailto:)