From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Another Chicago Flop House?
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 03:29:57 -0500

That's an interesting question, Ed.
And I'll look forward to reading input from others on our list.

To me, Van Buren has always been a strange street.
A sort of dividing line in away.

66 west Van buren, in 1930, would have been one of many SROs on that
street, probably mostly filled with the working poor, laborers, and
visitors and transients in need of inexpensive housing, as well as
the unemployed. It was in 1930 and is at the south end of "the Loop"
and on the fringe of the Chicago Finanical district amid a lot of
office buildings.

It was in 1930 and is amid and within a block or two of many great
Chicago Institutions and Architecturally significant buildings: the
old Federal Building, the Monadnock Building, the Chicago Board of
Trade, the Art Institute of Chicago, many exclusive private clubs,
the Standard Club, Chicago Athletic Association, etc, Roosevelt
University, DePaul University, The Conrad Hilton Hotel (Old Stephens
Hotel), the Rock Island Railroad LaSalle St Station, the Auditorium
Theatre. It was a short walk-less than two blocks- to Grant Park, a
beautiful park on Michigan Avenue and a couple more blocks east to
Lake Michigan.

But immediately south of Van Buren on State St in the 1930s, it would
have been a bit honky tonk: cheap theatres, arcades, burlesque clubs,
poolhalls, I think some vaudville, too. etc.---a vice district and I
think it remained so thru the forties, maybe into the fifties.

It was fringe.......on the fringe of wealth and culture and on the
fringe of skid row.

Nan