Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Undertakers Death Certificate
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 08:48:02 EDT

Nan wrote: "Kathleen
I don't think this is quite accurate. There must be some exceptions.

I had two deaths this past year, an elderly aunt and uncle, husband
and wife, both residents of the same Chicago nursing home.
There was no doctor on duty and the undertaker removed both of them
and took them directly to Donnellans. They were not taken to a
doctor or anywhere else.
The nurse did have a release or something like that, that the
undertaker's driver signed and gave to her.

I know the facility doctor signed a death cert on both of them within
a day or two as we had the death certs the day of the funeral
from the undertaker."

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I've been out of town and am just
reading a backlog of emails. Not to belabor the issue, but there must be a
pronouncement of death by a physician or medical examiner. A doctor pronouncing a
patient dead is not necessarily the doctor who signs the death certificate --
the doctor or M.E. signing the death certificate is confirming the cause of the
death. In your cases, the nursing home could have had a doctor in the
facility seeing another patient who pronounced the death (it doesn't have to be the
patient's own doctor), or have called the M.E. for permission to move the body
for pronouncement, which would be the "exception" you wondered about.

Kathleen Richmond
Oak Forest IL

See what's free at http://www.aol.com.

This thread: