From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Kenny and Sheehy and McGann funeral parlors
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 21:27:50 -0500

Thanks for the history lesson, Bill.

Like you I attended many wakes at Sheehy's and Kennys.
I have a weak memory of having attended a few in the old
neighborhood, maybe it was the original Kennys on Halsted.

My father however left instructions in 1972 to be buried from what
was then O'Donnell/Bartz on 103rd, later merged with Donnellan.
That surprised a lot of people, they expected him to be buried from
Kenny's.
My immediate family has stayed with Donnellan.

Are those McGanns the same family that was involved with the Bowler
Bros (Tom and Jack) who owned the Beverly Woods Restaurant on 115th
and Western.
Those Bowlers were also involved with Brighton Krug construction and
some downtown restaurants. There had been several McGann managers
over the years,
going back to when it opened in the 50s. My dad and one brother knew
that McGann family pretty well.

I attended my last at home wake in Jan of 1962. It was very nice.

Thanks for your comments.

Nan

My dad's Brennan grandmother was a Sheehy, and supposedly we have
some connection to that Roger Sheehy family, but I've never been able
to figure it out.