Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Jeremiah E. O'Brien Visitation funeral 1955
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:51:32 -0500

Nan,

I only have known Kenny Brothers being in Evergreen Park, as I lived there for over 20 years. I knew the Kenny Brothers' sister, as she was a neighbor growing up. Her married name was Miller. Her husband was a sale rep for Pfizer. Mom used to call him for samples all the time, when one of her eight got ill.

However, as a kid, I attended many wakes and funerals at Sheehy's. As a teen, we used to smoke the stale cigarettes they had sitting in the ashtray, while our parents were conversing and mourning by the casket. Well, at least the women mourned, the men conversed.

Mom used to tell me that the old Irish wakes were much like that. They had the wakes in the family home. (This makes sense with what Kathy said the other day about the undertaker's certificate.) The women mourned in the parlor, while the men conversed and drank the liquor in the kitchen. When the liquor ran out, the men went out the back door to the neighborhood bar.

Sheehy's was located at 82nd & Ashland for amny years until they moved to 107th & Pulaski. Several years later, the Sheehy brothers died leaving the business to their partner, Andrew McGann, and their sons. Andy stayed at the 107th St location while one of the sons built one in Burbank on 79th St. The other son had one in Palos on 127th St, I think.

Bill