From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Undertakers Death Certificate
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 20:38:41 -0500

> n the city of Chicago, the law does not allow an
> undertaker to 'remove' a body without a signed death certificate,
> but most
> suburbs do allow it.

Kathleen,

I don't think this is quite accurate. There must be some exceptions.

I had two deaths this past year, an elderly aunt and uncle, husband
and wife, both residents of the same Chicago nursing home.
There was no doctor on duty and the undertaker removed both of them
and took them directly to Donnellans. They were not taken to a
doctor or anywhere else.
The nurse did have a release or something like that, that the
undertaker's driver signed and gave to her.

I know the facility doctor signed a death cert on both of them within
a day or two as we had the death certs the day of the funeral
from the undertaker.

Nan