IRISH-IN-CHICAGO-L Archives

Archiver > IRISH-IN-CHICAGO > 2007-04 > 1177604455

From: Mike Obrien <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] IRISH-IN-CHICAGO Digest, Vol 2, Issue 108
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 09:20:55 -0700 (PDT)
In-Reply-To: <mailman.13817.1177588326.3143.irish-in-chicago@rootsweb.com>

Nan, the info you got on James and Deborah O'Brien on Carpenter street is definitely my family. Some really good info I didn't know. Only strange thing is Mayme Byrd. I am sure there was a daughter Mary in the family, I even have her obit from the Tribune. But she doesn't show in the census. I'm wondering if Mayme was just a nickname or something the family called Mary. Everything else fits and makes sense. Thanks.

My Andrew O'Brien is buried at Holy Sepluchre so this one wouldn't be mine. The James and Anna Moore I don't recognize any of it so probably not related.

I'm wondering if we are looking at the same documents. I found on page 28 of 44 in Chicago Ward 29 of the 1910 census using Ancestry.com, that my O'Brien family and John and Annie Moore were listed on the same page. But I couldn't make out the addresses. Must have been neighbors at the time. Thanks again, Mike.

wrote:

Today's Topics:

1. Re: Canal Police (Nan Brennan)
2. Domain Name Change (Anthony OBrien)
3. James O'Brien native Tipperary obit Visitation Parish
(Nan Brennan)
4. Re: Visitation (Nan Brennan)
5. Re: Visitation (Nan Brennan)
6. Re: Esther Moore 1920 (Nan Brennan)
7. Lawlers for Patti Meyers ()
8. Re: Buckagh Mayo (Nan Brennan)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

> Looking for information on Canal police Kathy
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-IN-
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 01:02:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: Anthony OBrien
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Domain Name Change
To: , ,
, ,
Message-ID: <>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ascii

Hello All Listers,

Please be advised that my website www.obrienfamilyhistory.net has now been changed to www.obrienfamilyhistory.ca. All the same material from the old site is on the new site with a few modifications. The only page not yet up and running is my link to "Photographs" in the main nav bar on the left. I made the change because I found a better program in which to make my webpages but it meant that I had to switch webhosts.

I apologize for the inconvenience, however, I'm absolutely sure you will find the new site put together better.

Many Rgds,

Anthony

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 03:04:40 -0500
From: Nan Brennan
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] James O'Brien native Tipperary obit
Visitation Parish
Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; delsp=yes; format=flowed

Chicago Tribune
Feb 26, 1954

James O'Brien, 5634 S Union Avenue
beloved husband of the late Catherine Mullarkey O'Brien,
fond father of Mrs J. C. (Myrtle) Magee of Ingleside Ill.
dear grandfather of Robin, Brian, Sheila, Mary Denise and Kathleen
Leita Magee
Funeral Saturday 9am from funeral home 5438 S Halsted street
to Visitation church, Interment Holy Sepulchre
NATIVE DERRYCASTLE, CO TIPPERARY, IRELAND.
Boulevard 8-0662

Hope this helps someone!

Nan

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 03:41:38 -0500
From: Nan Brennan
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Visitation
Message-ID: <>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; delsp=yes; format=flowed

Hi Mike,

Is this family below yours?
Do you have a death cert on James or Deborah?

There was a James and Deborah O'Brien and family living at 5322
Carpenter St in the 1910 census.
James was 50, born Ireland, working in the packing house, and
emigrated 1880. (about age 20)
Deborah was 49, born Ireland, also emigrated 1880.
They were married 28 yrs in 1910, so they were married about 1882.
All of the children were born in Chicago.
Living with them in 1910:
widowed Daughter Mayme Byrd, age 23, and her son Walter, age 4.
Mayme was a dressmaker.
Dau Catherine, age 23
Son Andrew, age 22
Dau Deborah, age 20
William Noonan, a boarder
Michael Burke, a boarder.

James must have died after Apr 23, 1910 (date of 1910 census) and
before Jan 7, 1920, the date census taker was at their home on
Lincoln St.

In the 1920 census, Deborah (59)is widowed and living with her
daughter Deborah (29)who married a George Frizie (29).
SIL Catherine OBrien, age 34, is also living with them
address was 5610 Lincoln St, 29th Wd, Dist 1797
Deborah and George had 2 children, Eleanor (5) and George (4).
Deborah OBrien received her citizenship papers in 1889.

There's an Andrew O'Brien buried at Calvary Cemtery. Because your
James' first born son was Andrew, I was wondering if James' father
might be Andrew. That Andrew buried at Calvary was born @ 1829 in Co
Tipperary and died in Chicago in 1889.
But there is a James buried there, probably a son, who died in 1935.
If your James died before 1920, then this Andrew would probably not
be his father.

Do you have some dates on Patrick and Esther Moore? Were they in
Visitation parish?
Nan

On Apr 25, 2007, at 9:25 AM, Mike Obrien wrote:

> I am originally from Visitation. Went 1st thru 4th grade. My family
> is from 55th and Racine. I've been up in Michigan since the early
> sixties. The rest of my family still inhabits the general south
> side of Chicago. I enjoy seeing comments and names mentioned from
> Vis although, not sure records go back to when I would need them.
> I'm working on finding gr-gr-grandparents which would be the
> parents of James and Deborah O'Brien (born 1860,1861) that is all
> I know about them. Also looking for info on grandmother's side for
> Patrick and Esther Moore. Only info I have for them is from death
> certificate of John Moore (gr-grandfather) in Cook County. I read
> all the IRISH-IN-CHICAGO emails as you never know what you will
> come across.
> Mike O'Brien
> ---------------------------------
> Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?
> Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-IN-
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 03:45:01 -0500
From: Nan Brennan
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Visitation
Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; delsp=yes; format=flowed

Mike, does the name John Hunt mean anything to you?

I saw this obit in Chicago Irish Families of an Anna MOORE married to
a James Hunt.
They were living a few doors down and across the street from where
James and Deborah Obrien were living in 1910.

Hunt, John 5209 Carpenter st., husband of Anna (nee Moore), father of
James, Thomas, and Mrs. Annie Gabel, also of the late Catherine and
Mary Hunt; native of Ballyhaunis, Co. Mayo. Funeral from Visitation
Church thence to Mt. Olivet cemetery. --September 4, 1905 (1) The
Chicago Daily News , 1878-1902, funeral notices

On Apr 25, 2007, at 9:25 AM, Mike Obrien wrote:

> I am originally from Visitation. Went 1st thru 4th grade. My family
> is from 55th and Racine. I've been up in Michigan since the early
> sixties. The rest of my family still inhabits the general south
> side of Chicago. I enjoy seeing comments and names mentioned from
> Vis although, not sure records go back to when I would need them.
> I'm working on finding gr-gr-grandparents which would be the
> parents of James and Deborah O'Brien (born 1860,1861) that is all
> I know about them. Also looking for info on grandmother's side for
> Patrick and Esther Moore. Only info I have for them is from death
> certificate of John Moore (gr-grandfather) in Cook County. I read
> all the IRISH-IN-CHICAGO emails as you never know what you will
> come across.
> Mike O'Brien
> ---------------------------------
> Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?
> Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-IN-
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 04:22:56 -0500
From: Nan Brennan
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Esther Moore 1920
Cc: Mike Obrien
Message-ID: <>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; delsp=yes; format=flowed

There was an Esther Moore, widowed age 65, born Ireland @ 1855 in the
1920 census.
Census was taken on Jan 6, 1920.

address 849 Cornelia (@3500 N @ Halsted) Ward 23, Dist 1281
Esther and her daughters immigrated in 1894.
2 daughters living with her in 1920: Olivia age 28, employed as a
stenographer and Emily age 27, a hotel manicurist.
Both daus are single. Their father was born in Ireland.

On Apr 25, 2007, at 9:25 AM, Mike Obrien wrote:

> I am originally from Visitation. Went 1st thru 4th grade. My family
> is from 55th and Racine. I've been up in Michigan since the early
> sixties. The rest of my family still inhabits the general south
> side of Chicago. I enjoy seeing comments and names mentioned from
> Vis although, not sure records go back to when I would need them.
> I'm working on finding gr-gr-grandparents which would be the
> parents of James and Deborah O'Brien (born 1860,1861) that is all
> I know about them. Also looking for info on grandmother's side for
> Patrick and Esther Moore. Only info I have for them is from death
> certificate of John Moore (gr-grandfather) in Cook County. I read
> all the IRISH-IN-CHICAGO emails as you never know what you will
> come across.
> Mike O'Brien
> ---------------------------------
> Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?
> Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-IN-
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 07:08:51 EDT
From:
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Lawlers for Patti Meyers
Cc:
Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"

Patti wrote: "And my Uncle Joe LAWLER went to Visitation grammar school in
the 1920s....My grandfather was part owner of the Schiele-Lawler Coal Co
which became the James Coal Company about 59th & Halsted.
We're also tracking Lawlers in Chicago and wondered if there might be a
connection. They moved to Chicago from Rochester, NY, according to following
taken from _Chicago Irish Families, 1875-1925_
(http://www.ancestry.com/search/srrd.asp?rd=db&dbid=3524&ti=0&c=16) :
"Lawler, Joseph, wife and family, natives of Dublin, Ireland, came to Chicago
via Rochester and Buffalo in 1854, and lived for a short time at Catherine
and Loomis sts. later moving to Taylor st. in the Holy Family parish. Lawler
died on March 25, 1879, his wife died Nov. 19, 1894. Their son, Frank Lawler
was an alderman for several terms, and later a U.S. congressman for two
terms until his death on Jan. 18, 1896. Other sons were: James, Joseph, John,
Michael, and Thomas, daughters were: Teresa and Mary who married John F. Scanlan
in 1862 _(27)_ (javascript:APop(p3619,200,200);) Note: Tombstone in Calvary
cemetery lists the following: Joseph Lawler native of Co. Dublin died March
23, 1880, aged 60 yrs., 5 mos; James Lawler died Jan. 24, 187?, aged 30 (?)
years; John Lawler (unreadable); Section N _(3)_
(javascript:APop(p3620,200,200);)
Footnote 3: Calvary cemetery tombstone inscriptions"
Note re article above -- Teresa, not Mary, married John F. Scanlan
Also have the following obits re some of this family and considerable other
information we'd be happy to share with Patti or anyone else who might be
related to these Lawlers.
Beth Callanan, Wash, DC
1917-11-21
Chicago Tribune (IL)
LAWLER
Edition: Chicago Tribune
Frank Lawler, beloved husband of Bonnie, nee Lanham, son of the late Frank
and Elizabeth Lawler, brother of Mrs. A. J. Reilly, Mrs. J. Lowery, Loretta,
and the late James Lawler. Funeral Friday at 9:30 from late residence, 1619 E.
55thst., to St. Thomas' church, for high mass. Burial at Calvary; motors.
For seats call Kedzie 100.