IRISH-IN-CHICAGO-L Archives

Archiver > IRISH-IN-CHICAGO > 2007-04 > 1177567919


From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Visitation Parish Chicago
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 01:11:59 -0500


Source:History of Visitation Parish 1886-1936

(Thanks to Kay B for sharing this information. Some of this she
has posted at early times on this list)

Visitation Parish was founded in 1886. (July 2nd)
original boundaries North 49thSt South 55th St
East Wallace West
Center (Racine)

Earlier Parishes in that area:
St Rose of Lima 48th Ashland
St Cecilia 45th Wells
St Gabriel’s 45th Wallace
St Anne 55th Wentworth

1st mass celebrated at the Grant school, later known as the Sherman
School
First Pastor Daniel F. McGuire
he lived temporarily with an O’Connor family
at 54th and Morgan(Beth!! are these our O'Connors??)
his library stored at home of Mr and Mrs
McCarthy, 5138 Aberdeen
he later rented a cottage at 5140 Aberdeen


Some other early parishioners 1886
Patrick McCarthy, Luke O’Toole, Leonard Pickley
James Frances O’Day and Margaret Begley (son Jerome Leo 1st baptism)
Lawrence O’Connell and Johannah Creagh (son Lawrence early
baptism)
Angus McEntire and Edith Ogden (son Charles early baptism)
John McCormick and Mary Connelly (son John
early baptism)
Philip O’Connel and Margaret Hayes (1st
marriage Aug 22, 1886)

more to come........


This thread: